Monday, May 23, 2011

Conan and friend

  I just came to the end of a 100-page sketchbook that I started a month ago.  I have to admit that it's a little bit like the sketchbooks I kept in 3rd grade, in that some pages just contain a small handful of lines.  And in many cases I didn't use both sides of a page, either because the other side has ink and paint running through, or because I figured I'd want to cut the page out to use for something else.  These are a couple of sketches from this evening, drawn with a luxuriant 5B (soft!) pencil...  my arm was tired of wrestling the relatively hard graphite off of an HB and into the paper...


  This is a drawing of Conan the Barbarian.  I like drawing Conan, partly because he has rugged features and lots of eyeliner, which, let's face it, are glorious in combination.  Here his arms are a little on the long side, especially compared with his legs.


 This monster is a recreation of a creature I used to draw in junior high school, probably inspired by the massive underbites of The Thing and Rob Liefeld's Badrock.  One day I want to make a story with updated versions of all of the characters I doodled out over the years.  Y'all  will be the first to see it...



No comments:

Post a Comment